Dear Fellow CFTDA Members,
As your President I wish to apprise you of the changes being proposed in the 2019 version of Firefighter I & II that were introduced at the July STEAC meeting and shared with me by Randy Collins (our STEAC rep). A brief summary of some of the changes are as follows:
- The curriculum is being modularized into: FFIA (Structure), FFIB (Haz-Mat/WMD), FFIC (Wildland), Confined Space and FFIIA (structure)
- When the 3 FFI modules, Confined Space and the certification testing are complete, students may move directly on to FFII
- The work experience component has been moved from the end of FFI to FFII (allowing the issuance of FFI certs following the test process)
- Migration of several formal FFII topics to FFI (i.e. Auto Ex, Fire Safety Surveys, Pre-plans)
- Many FFI topics have had their hours reduced significantly with the overall hours in the model curriculum (no ARTP amendments) going from 394 (2013) to 308 (2019)
- A implementation plan that retires the existing FFI curriculum on June 30, 2020.
From these bullet points alone, you can probably surmise that they represent enormous changes that will require significant re-writes and approval of our curriculum. And from the implementation plan, you can see we have little time we have been given to do so. Because SFT will be making a detailed report on this item at our next CFTDA meeting in Monterey and wants to hear our feedback, I would STRONGLY recommend you attend the meeting. I would also ask you to take some time to review the SFT staff report, the course and implementation plans (link enclosed below) and develop a list of questions or concerns you may have and forward them to me BEFORE the meeting. This will allow us to assemble a comprehensive list that can be asked directly to SFT and hopefully get an immediate response which will benefit all of us. It will also put us in a better position to negotiate for changes much like what we did with SFT staff when the 2013 FFI curriculum was presented.
While I recognize this requires a little up-front effort by each of you, because we all affected by the same problems, I can guarantee that by sharing them here, it will save you considerable work in the long run.
If you have specific questions, feel free to contact me or CFTDA STEAC rep Randy Collins (firstname.lastname@example.org) . I look forward to seeing your feedback.
Dow loadable Files:
10.0 FFI FFII Staff Report First Reading STEAC 06.19.2019 .pdf
10.1 FF1 – CTS Guide (Combination) – STEAC Draft (6.19.19).pdf
10.2 FF1 – Course Plan – Fire Fighter 1A – Sturcture (2019) – STEAC Draft (6.19.19).pdf
10.3 FF1 – Course Plan – Fire Fighter 1B – Hazardous Materials – STEAC Draft (6.20.19).pdf
10.4 FF1 – Course Plan – Fire Fighter 1C – Wildland – STEAC Draft (6.20.19).pdf
10.5 FF1 – Skill Sheets.pdf
10.6 FF2 – CTS Guide – STEAC Draft (6.19.19).pdf
10.7 FF2 – Course Plan – Fire Fighter 2A – Structure (2019) – STEAC Draft (6.19.19).pdf
10.8 FF2 – Task Book – STEAC Draft (6.19.19).pdf
10.9 FF2 – Skill Sheets.pdf
10.10 FFI & 2 Implementation Plan.pdf
Link to SFT site:
Matthew Jewett, MSOL
California Fire Technology Directors Association
Phone (530) 718-4853